Monday, March 8, 2010

Week One- March 1st- 8th

Golden Departures


"Isn't it nice to know that the lining is silver, Isn't it nice to know that we're GOLDEN, WOA OH! "


As I sit and filter out the important details and events from this past week, I have to begin with -

Canada cleaning house at the Olympics was the ultimate sendoff the night before my departure. To share a giant glowing heart and an unsurpassed amount of pride between all of my friends, family, and entire country was like nothing I could have ever imagined. OH CANADA. You can rest assured I was set on gathering as much Olympic merchandise from Edmonton that morning as I could...


My father and sister saw me off shortly before I flew out of Edmonton International at Noon last Monday, and to my surprise, after I lowered myself into my seat and closed my eyes, instead of stomaching twisted bundles of butterflies in a nervous disarray...

I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and calm. I can only describe the feeling as something strangely opposite of an epiphany... instead of a sudden realization, I felt that I already knew deep down that at that moment I was exactly where I was supposed to be.


Silly Canuck lesson number One:


The best way to endure a three hour lay over in the Minneapolis terminal? "Pull up a seat and order some appetizers and a cold one" - says Dad.

So after wandering around aimlessly to work up an appetite, I stroll up to a bistro/bar and order the first thing that comes to mind...

"A Gin Caesar please"

The Waitress tilts her head, looks at me with a confused squint (I assume squinting helps to register vocabulary in some way) and asks,

"What? A CHICKEN Caesar?"

I am dumbfounded at this, and without a doubt, tilt MY head, squint MY eyes and say "What? No, uh a GIN Caesar?"

Suddenly the waitress has her own epiphany ( I'm making this the word of this weeks blog entry) and exclaims,

"OH you mean a Bloody Mary, but with Gin." At which point I have an epiphany and the 'oh no Americans don't HAVE Caesars' light comes on.

For a moment I think of what an American 'bloody Mary with gin' might actually taste like in comparison to my beloved, delicious, Canadian Gin Caesar, and hesitate, but always being too curious for my own good, I tell the waitress "Yes... that's what I would like."


Blique-Bleck-Blaque... ten dollars for the most god awful mock of a Caesar I have ever tasted. Three things resulted from my Caesar ordering incident.

1. My Canadian pride actually grew in spite of it's already over inflated Olympic Medal Laden self.

2. I felt truly sorry for Americans.

3. An interesting business opportunity came to light... I could bring Caesars to the U.S.A... I could be the Canadian Jack Daniel's... BUT maybe Sky Caesar's... and go down in history... ha ha I'm onto something, right? Why hasn't this been done?


HA So, I didn't mean to make this introductory entry so very long - please forgive my rambles...

ROMANIAN CONTENT COMING VERY SOON


p.s. VIVA ROMANIA! Romania is Oh-SO-Latino... who knew!


Love SKY :D


2 comments:

  1. First of all: Relient K, good choice.
    Secondly: Romania, so jealous! Your adventure sounds awesome. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final hokey game at the Olympics was truly fantastic. I had to stay up until very late at night because of the time difference and to see it live, but it was worth it. I didn't have a favorite team, but I hoped Canada will win even if only to see the bomb of joy that was in that stadium, exploding.

    I hope you will discover the beauties of Romania during your stay here and only the good aspects of the Latino blood :)

    ReplyDelete