Friday, March 12, 2010

Turkish Coffee and In Search of Tessa

You have not lived until you have had Turkish Coffee.
The grounds are boiled in a pot on the stove, often with sugar, and are left to sink to the bottom of the coffee boiled brew pot... so when you receive a mug the grounds are then transported to your cup as well and THEN sink to the bottom of your mug... leaving you with a glorious 'coffee mud' at the bottom. Because the grounds are left, the coffee is incredibly rich and delicious. You just have to be careful, not to... well... drink the 'mud'. Ha ha. (This is how you are served coffee here, and it comes as a bit of a shock to the unknowing sipper to say the least).
Tesa, Tesa, oh Where could you be?
On my very first day in Brasov, I was on a tour of the routes to take between my apartment block and the Projects abroad office. As we were strolling along, a yellow cement wall caught my eye with the scrawled graffiti message 'I love you Tesa'. I am too much of a hopeless romantic for my own good (I absolutely adored the sight of this, and felt as though I was walking the streets of the original west side story, the Brasov version). It isn't out of the norm to find professions of love in graffiti... but for some reason, this one stood apart.
As the week went on, and I strolled many streets to and fro, I came across another wall, simply marked 'Tesa'. To date, I have come across three walls marked with 'Tesa' in different areas, and in different writing, along my route. HOWEVER, I CAN'T FIND the original wall that read 'I love you Tesa'. I don't know why, but I sort of made a game out of searching for the infamous original message and discovering the hidden 'Tesa's' along the way. Ha ha so pictured above, is my search for Tesa...

1 comment:

  1. your search for Tesa reminds me of the guy in "Amelie" who collected pieces of pictures from photo machines. Did you see that movie?
    Dani

    ReplyDelete